| This year, Student Council and
Environmental Club will be spearheading the Earthweek Initiative,
to be held the week of April 13 with specific activities
planned for each day. Events planned include:
Monday, April 13
- Waste Management volunteers will be
stopping by with a truck out in front of the school to
do a demo on recycling during all lunch
periods. Come see what it’s all about!
- Come watch the English teachers participate in the first
ever LFHS Poetry Slam being held in the
lower Commons during all lunch periods!
- Watch student-produced PSAs, documentaries
and music videos in the DMT during lunch periods!
- Wear GREEN to school!
- Stop by the DMT during a free period to listen to our
guest speaker, Bill Kurtis, discuss
the importance of organic food and his experiences in
|Wednesday, April 15
- Bring your Nalgene bottle to school
and leave your plastic disposable bottle at home! Student
Council will be giving out stickers to help decorate your
- Support the cause and learn to be an environmentally
conscious consumer by stopping by our “Ecomarket” during
all lunch periods. We’ll be selling everything
from organic t-shirts to Nalgenes to canvas
bags to seed-based jewelry (all
$5). Check it out!
- Artist Nancy Steinmeyer will be stopping
by to run a workshop in the Library and talk to students
about her “Cool Globes” exhibition
that has been featured in public display and at museums
around the country (including the Field Museum). Sign
up outside of the library to be a part of the workshop!
- After school, join Men’s Club and F.O.C.U.S. as
they cut invasive buckthorn and clean up the bide
- Watch student-produced PSAs, documentaries and
music videos in the DMT during lunch periods!
|Thursday, April 16
- Ride your bike to school - reduce
air pollution AND help us donate free bikes to the
needy in Zambia! (For every rider, World Bicycle
Relief will donate $1 towards buying a bike: 330 riders=3
bikes)! Plus, enjoy hot cocoa and granola bars!
- Come see LFHS alumni John Andersen speak
during all lunch periods and hear how his passion for saving
the environment has rewarded him with some amazing experiences
as a part of The Nature Conservancy!
- Come hear student bands perform in the
Commons during all lunch periods. Also performing
will be some of your favorite teachers in the first ever LFHS
Faculty Talent Show – featuring Mr.
Sheeran in a barber shop quartet, Mr.
Gress on the harmonica, and MANY more!
|Friday, April 17
- Earth Week Celebration culminates in the Organic
Food Court, being held during all lunch periods
in the lower Commons – there will be FREE samples
of organic and all-natural foods in the cafeteria including Ben
and Jerry’s, Jamba Juice, and MUCH more!
- While you enjoy your FREE organic food samplings,
listen to the sounds of a percussion ensemble arranged
by the LFHS Band along with performances by bands
representing the Chicago Botanic Garden’s Fairchild
Many thanks to our Earth Week sponsors: APT, LFHS
Foundation, Environmental Club, and Student Council. Earth
Week would not be possible without help from many LFHS staff,
LFHS clubs, and the community.